- (often capital) (in Britain and certain other countries) the accounting department of the Treasury, responsible for receiving and issuing funds
- informal personal funds; finances
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- a treasury, as of a state or nation.
- (in Great Britain)
- (often cap.) the governmental department in charge of the public revenues.
- (formerly) an office administering the royal revenues and determining all cases affecting them.
- Law(cap.) Also called Court of Exchequer. an ancient common-law court of civil jurisdiction in which cases affecting the revenues of the crown were tried, now merged in the King's Bench Division of the High Court.
- Informal Termsone's financial resources;
funds:I'd love to go, but the exchequer is a bit low.
- Anglo-French escheker, eschekier (Old French eschequier) chessboard, counting table. See checker1
- Middle English escheker, eschequier 1250–1300