- erotic quality or nature
- the use of sexually arousing or pleasing symbolism in literature or art
- sexual excitement or desire
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
e•rot•i•cism (i rot′ə siz′əm),USA pronunciation n.
- the sexual or erotic quality or character of something.
- Fine Art, Literaturethe use of sexually arousing or suggestive symbolism, settings, allusions, situations, etc., in art, literature, drama, or the like.
- the condition of being sexually aroused or excited.
- sexual drive or tendency.
- Psychiatryan abnormally persistent sexual drive.
- erotic + -ism 1880–85
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
eroticism /ɪˈrɒtɪˌsɪzəm/, erotism /ˈɛrəˌtɪzəm/ n
'eroticism' also found in these entries: