- an unforeseen or sudden occurrence, esp of a danger demanding immediate remedy or action
- (as modifier): an emergency exit
- a patient requiring urgent treatment
- (as modifier): an emergency ward
- state of emergency ⇒ a condition, declared by a government, in which martial law applies, usually because of civil unrest or natural disaster
- NZ a player selected to stand by to replace an injured member of a team; reserve
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
e•mer•gen•cy /ɪˈmɜrdʒənsi/USA pronunciation n.[countable], pl. -cies.WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- a sudden, urgent, usually unexpected event or happening requiring immediate action:In an emergency, call the doctor.
e•mer•gen•cy (i mûr′jən sē),USA pronunciation n., pl. -cies, adj.
- a sudden, urgent, usually unexpected occurrence or occasion requiring immediate action.
- a state, esp. of need for help or relief, created by some unexpected event:a weather emergency; a financial emergency.
- granted, used, or for use in an emergency:an emergency leave; emergency lights.
- Medieval Latin ēmergentia, equivalent. to ēmerg- (see emerge) + -entia -ency. See emergent
- 1.See corresponding entry in Unabridged exigency, extremity, pinch, quandary, plight. Emergency, crisis, straits refer to dangerous situations. An emergency is a situation demanding immediate action:A power failure created an emergency in transportation.A crisis is a vital or decisive turning point in a condition or state of affairs, and everything depends on the outcome of it:Help arrived when affairs had reached a crisis.Strait (usually straits) suggests a pressing situation, often one of need or want:The family was in desperate straits for food and clothing.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
emergency /ɪˈmɜːdʒənsɪ/ n ( pl -cies)
'emergency' also found in these entries:
A & E - Civil Air Patrol - EMT - ER - FEMA - SOS - act - acute-care - aid station - aidman - airlift - airway - annex - atropine - bail - bail out - bailout - ball - battle lantern - battle station - blackout - boatlift - brainpower - bridge financing - bucket brigade - buoyancy compensator - call - call-out - callback - canteen - capsule - cardiac arrest - cardiopulmonary resuscitation - center - channel - clearway - clutch - code - code blue - command post - communication cord - compassionate - contingency - contingency plan - council of war - crash - crash truck - crash-land - crisis - crisis center