WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
em•boss /ɛmˈbɔs, -ˈbɑs/USA pronunciation v. [~ + object]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- to decorate (a surface) with raised designs or decorations:He embossed the sword with the design of a bull.
em•boss (em bôs′, -bos′),USA pronunciation v.t.
- to raise or represent (surface designs) in relief.
- to decorate (a surface) with raised ornament.
- Metallurgyto raise a design on (a blank) with dies of similar pattern, one the negative of the other. Cf. coin (def. 12).
- to cause to bulge out;
- Middle French embocer, equivalent. to em- em-1 + boce boss2
- Middle English embosen 1350–1400