- the occlusion of a blood vessel by an embolus
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
em•bo•lism (em′bə liz′əm),USA pronunciation n.
- Pathologythe occlusion of a blood vessel by an embolus.
- intercalation, as of a day in a year.
- a period of time intercalated.
- Religion(in a Eucharistic service) the prayer following the final petitions of the Lord's Prayer.
- Late Greek embolismós, equivalent. to embol- (see embolus) + -ismos -ism
- Medieval Latin embolismus intercalation
- Middle English 1350–1400
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
embolism /ˈɛmbəˌlɪzəm/ n
'embolism' also found in these entries: