- any ulmaceous tree of the genus Ulmus, occurring in the N hemisphere, having serrated leaves and winged fruits (samaras): cultivated for shade, ornament, and timber
- the hard heavy wood of this tree
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
elm /ɛlm/USA pronunciation n.WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- Plant Biology[countable] a shade tree having gradually spreading columns of branches.
- Furniture[uncountable] the wood of this tree.
elm (elm),USA pronunciation n.
- Plant Biologyany tree of the genus Ulmus, as U. procera(English elm), characterized by the gradually spreading columnar manner of growth of its branches. Cf. American elm, elm family.
- Furniturethe wood of such a tree.
- bef. 1000; Middle English, Old English; cognate with Old High German elm; akin to Old Norse almr, Latin ulmus
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
elm /ɛlm/ n
'elm' also found in these entries:
American elm - Dutch elm disease - Elmwood Park - Embla - English elm - athlete - besides - business - elm bark beetle - elm blight - elm family - elm leaf beetle - epenthesis - hackberry - lotus - native elm bark beetle - phloem necrosis - planer tree - rock elm - samara - slippery elm - smaller European elm bark beetle - ulmaceous - vaulty - wahoo - water elm - wave - winged elm - witch alder - witch hazel - witch-elm - wych elm - wych-elm