- concern for one's own interests and welfare
- the theory that the pursuit of one's own welfare is the highest good
- self-centredness; egotism
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
- excessive care of or concern with oneself;
- the habit of valuing everything only in reference to one's personal interest;
selfishness (opposed to altruism).
- egotism or conceit.
- Philosophy[Ethics.]the view that morality ultimately rests on self-interest.
- French égoïsme. See ego, -ism
- 1.See corresponding entry in Unabridged See egotism.