- (functioning as singular) the social science concerned with the production and consumption of goods and services and the analysis of the commercial activities of a society
- (functioning as plural) financial aspects
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
- Business[uncountable; used with a singular verb] the science that deals with the production, distribution, and use of goods and services, or human welfare.
- Business[plural; used with a plural verb] financial considerations;
aspects (of a situation) that are economically significant.
- Business(used with a sing. v.) the science that deals with the production, distribution, and consumption of goods and services, or the material welfare of humankind.
- Business(used with a pl. v.) financial considerations;
economically significant aspects:What are the economics of such a project?
- see economic, -ics 1785–95