WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
dress-up (dres′up′),USA pronunciation adj.
- being an occasion, situation, etc., for which one must be somewhat formally well-dressed:the first dress-up dance of the season.
- Informal TermsUsually, dress-ups.
- a person's best clothes:Wear your dress-ups for the reception.
- accessories or other added features:a car with custom dress-ups.
- noun, nominal, adjective, adjectival use of verb, verbal phrase dress up 1665–75
'dress-up' also found in these entries: