- a battleship armed with heavy guns of uniform calibre
- an overcoat made of heavy cloth
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
dread•nought (dred′nôt′),USA pronunciation n.
- Militarya type of battleship armed with heavy-caliber guns in turrets: so called from the British battleship Dreadnought, launched in 1906, the first of its type.
- Clothingan outer garment of heavy woolen cloth.
- Textilesa thick cloth with a long pile.
- dread + nought 1800–10
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
dreadnought, dreadnaught /ˈdrɛdˌnɔːt/ n
'dreadnought' also found in these entries: