- the money or property brought by a woman to her husband at marriage
- a natural talent or gift
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
dow•ry /ˈdaʊri/USA pronunciation n.[countable], pl. -ries.WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- the money, goods, etc., that a wife brings to her husband at marriage.
dow•ry (dou′rē),USA pronunciation n., pl. -ries.
- Also, dower. the money, goods, or estate that a wife brings to her husband at marriage.
- [Archaic.]a widow's dower.
- a natural gift, endowment, talent, etc.
- Medieval Latin dōtārium. See dot2, -ary
- Anglo-French douarie
- Middle English dowerie 1250–1300
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
dowry /ˈdaʊərɪ/ n ( pl -ries)
'dowry' also found in these entries (note: many are not synonyms or translations):