- the examination or consideration of a matter in speech or writing
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
dis•cus•sion /dɪˈskʌʃən/USA pronunciation n.WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- the act of discussing:[uncountable]I don't think his proposals leave much room for discussion.
- an instance of discussing:[countable]We had a long discussion on why I shouldn't appeal his decision.
dis•cus•sion (di skush′ən),USA pronunciation n.
- an act or instance of discussing;
consideration or examination by argument, comment, etc., esp. to explore solutions;
- Late Latin discussiōn- (stem of discussiō) inquiry, examination, Latin: a shaking. See discuss, -ion
- Middle English 1300–50
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
discussion /dɪˈskʌʃən/ n
'discussion' also found in these entries:
Al-Anon - Congressional Record - Freeper - Indaba - academic - adjourn - agitation - aide-mémoire - air - airing - altercation - anacoenosis - analysis - antilogy - archaeology - argument - argumentation - argy-bargy - back-and-forth - ball - barbecue stopper - battle royal - book club - boring - bottom line - brainstorming - breath - bring - bring forward - bring up - broach - brouhaha - bull session - call - canvass - carpet - case - case method - case system - caucus - cause - chattering classes - cheval de bataille - civilized - code word - colloquium - come - common ground - composite - concerning