- the act of deserting or abandoning or the state of being deserted or abandoned
- wilful abandonment, esp of one's spouse or children, without consent and in breach of obligations
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
de•ser•tion (di zûr′shən),USA pronunciation n.
- the act of deserting or the state of being deserted.
- Lawwillful abandonment, esp. of one's wife or husband without consent, in violation of legal or moral obligations.
- Militaryan act of leaving military service or duty without the intention of returning. Cf. AWOL.
- Latin dēsert(us) (see desert1) + -iōn- -ion
- Late Latin dēsertiōn- (stem of dēsertiō)
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
desertion /dɪˈzɜːʃən/ n
'desertion' also found in these entries: