- a jerboa, Jaculus orientalis, inhabiting the deserts of N Africa
- Brit informal a soldier who served in North Africa with the British 7th Armoured Division in 1941–42
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- Mammalsany of various small rodents, as the kangaroo rat, inhabiting arid regions.
- Dialect Terms[Chiefly Western U.S.]one who lives in the desert, esp. in order to prospect for gold or other valuable minerals.
- [Informal.]a soldier fighting in the N African desert in World War II, esp. a British soldier.
- 1905–10, American.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
desert rat n