- the state or fact of being dependent, esp for support or help
- reliance; trust; confidence
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
de•pend•ence /dɪˈpɛndəns/USA pronunciation n. [uncountable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- the state of relying on someone or something for aid or support:the dependence on the West for luxury items.
trust:dependence on religion.
- the state of being a condition for something to follow:the dependence of an effect upon a cause.
- Psychiatrythe state of being psychologically or physiologically dependent on a drug:the frightening dependence on drugs.
de•pend•ence (di pen′dəns),USA pronunciation n.
- the state of relying on or needing someone or something for aid, support, or the like.
trust:Her complete reliability earned her our dependence.
- an object of reliance or trust.
- the state of being conditional or contingent on something, as through a natural or logical sequence:the dependence of an effect upon a cause.
- Psychiatrythe state of being psychologically or physiologically dependent on a drug after a prolonged period of use.
- subordination or subjection:the dependence of Martinique upon France.
- Old French dependance, equivalent. to depend(re) (see depend) + -ance -ence
- late Middle English dependaunce 1400–50
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
dependence, sometimes US dependance /dɪˈpɛndəns/ n
'dependence' also found in these entries:
-ence - -holic - Barth - Fourth World - Homo sapiens - Maxwell's field equations - Stockholm syndrome - affranchise - alcoholism - amphetamine - antisymmetric - belong - bibliolatry - cannabis - co-dependency - confidence - contingency - degenderize - delirium tremens - dependency - detoxification - diabetes - elaborated code - fiducial - field dependence - field independence - gateway drug - habit-forming - habituation - hard drug - homo - mama's boy - momism - monkey - mutuality - own - passive-dependent personality - relationship - relativity - reliance - reliant - restricted code - self-dependence - servile - soft drug - throw - vassalage - virtual