- an inadequate amount, esp of food; scarcity
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
dearth /dɜrθ/USA pronunciation n. [count;WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- a scarcity or lack:a dearth of good writers of computer manuals.
dearth (dûrth),USA pronunciation n.
- an inadequate supply;
lack:There is a dearth of good engineers.
- scarcity and dearness of food;
- Middle English derthe. See dear1, -th1 1200–50
- 1.See corresponding entry in Unabridged shortage, want, paucity, insufficiency.
- 1.See corresponding entry in Unabridged abundance, plenty, sufficiency;
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
dearth /dɜːθ/ n
'dearth' also found in these entries (note: many are not synonyms or translations):