- any herbaceous perennial plant of the Mexican genus Dahlia, having showy flowers and tuberous roots, esp any horticultural variety derived from D. pinnata: family Asteraceae (composites)
- the flower or root of any of these plants
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
- Plant Biologya garden plant of Mexico and Central America, having thick, bulging roots and showy flowers.
- Plant Biologyany composite plant of the genus Dahlia, native to Mexico and Central America and widely cultivated for its showy, variously colored flower heads.
- Plant Biologythe flower or tuberous root of a dahlia.
- a pale violet or amethyst color.
- of the color dahlia.
- Neo-Latin, named after Anders Dahl (died 1789), Swedish botanist; see -ia