- Also called: paigle a primrose, Primula veris, native to temperate regions of the Old World, having fragrant yellow flowers
- US Canadian
another name for marsh marigold
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
cow•slip /ˈkaʊslɪp/USA pronunciation n. [countable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- Plant Biologya flower, an English primrose having sweet-smelling yellow blossoms.
cow•slip (kou′slip),USA pronunciation n.
- Plant Biologyan English primrose, Primula veris, having fragrant yellow flowers.
- Plant Biologythe marsh marigold.
- Plant BiologySee shooting star (def. 2).
- Plant BiologySee Virginia cowslip.
- bef. 1000; Middle English cowslyppe, Old English cūslyppe, equivalent. to cū cow1 + slyppe, slypa slime; see slip3
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
cowslip /ˈkaʊˌslɪp/ n
'cowslip' also found in these entries: