- (in the Holy Roman Empire) originally an official who administered the king's domains or his justice
- later, a count who exercised royal authority in his own domains
- (in England and Ireland) an earl or other lord of a county palatine
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
count′ pal′atine, pl. counts palatine.
- World History(formerly, in Germany) a count having jurisdiction in his fief or province.
- World HistoryAlso called earl palatine. [Eng. Hist.]an earl or other county proprietor who exercised royal prerogatives within his county.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
count palatine n ( pl counts palatine)
'count palatine' also found in these entries: