- a maritime force which aids shipping, saves lives at sea, prevents smuggling, etc
- Also called: coastguardsman a member of such a force
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
coastguard /ˈkəʊstˌɡɑːd/ n
ˈCoast ˌGuard, n.WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
Military[proper noun; usually: the + ~] a U.S. military service whose duty is to enforce laws of the sea, save lives and property at sea, etc.
- Military[U.S. Mil.]a military service under the Department of Transportation, which in peacetime enforces maritime laws, saves lives and property at sea, and maintains aids to navigation, and which in wartime may be placed under the Navy Department to augment the navy.
- (l.c.) any similar organization for aiding navigation, preventing smuggling, etc.
- (l.c.) Also called coastguardsman. a member of any such organization.
'coastguard' also found in these entries (note: many are not synonyms or translations):