- a certificate, issued by a port officer, that attests to the health of a ship's company
- clean bill of health ⇒ informal a good report of one's physical condition
- a favourable account of a person's or a company's financial position
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- a certificate of health attesting the lack of a contagious disease, as on a ship.
- an assurance, as by a doctor, that one is in good health.
- Also, clean′ bill′. an assurance, esp. an official verdict by a committee, that a group or an individual has proved, under investigation, to be morally sound, fit for office, etc.
- Naval Termsa certificate, carried by a ship, attesting to the presence or absence of infectious diseases among the ship's crew and at the port from which it has come.
- Idiomsclean bill of health, an attestation of fitness or qualification;
a commendation:The investigating committee gave him a clean bill of health.