- a castrated cock fowl fattened for eating
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
ca•pon /ˈkeɪpɑn, -pən/USA pronunciation n. [countable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- Animal Husbandry, Fooda young castrated male chicken used as food.
ca•pon (kā′pon, -pən),USA pronunciation n.
- Animal Husbandry, Fooda cockerel castrated to improve the flesh for use as food.
- Latin capōn- (stem of capō) castrated cock; akin to Greek kóptein to cut, Old Church Slavonic skopiti to castrate
- bef. 1000; Middle English; Old English capun
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
capon /ˈkeɪpən/ n
'capon' also found in these entries (note: many are not synonyms or translations):