- the business or work of a butcher
- wanton and indiscriminate slaughter; carnage
- a less common word for slaughterhouse
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
butch•er•y /ˈbʊtʃəri/USA pronunciation n., pl. -er•ies.WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- brutal or excessive slaughter of animals or humans:[uncountable]His untamed soldiers were well trained in butchery.
- [uncountable] the trade or business of a butcher.
- [countable] Brit. a slaughterhouse.
butch•er•y (bŏŏch′ə rē),USA pronunciation n., pl. -er•ies.
- a slaughterhouse.
- brutal or wanton slaughter of animals or humans;
- the trade or business of a butcher.
- the act of bungling or botching.
- Anglo-French, Middle French boucherie. See butcher, -y3
- Middle English bocherie 1300–50
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
butchery /ˈbʊtʃərɪ/ n ( pl -eries)
'butchery' also found in these entries: