- any of various small northern mainly marine scorpaenoid fishes of the family Cottidae that have a large head covered with bony plates and spines
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
bull•head (bŏŏl′hed′),USA pronunciation n.
- Fishany of several North American, freshwater catfishes of the genus Ictalurus, having a rounded or truncate caudal fin.
- Fishany of several other fishes, as the freshwater sculpins of the genus Cottus, esp. those species having a hornlike spine on each side of the head.
- an obstinate or stupid person.
- bull1 + head 1665–75, American.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
bullhead /ˈbʊlˌhɛd/ n
'bullhead' also found in these entries (note: many are not synonyms or translations):