- a period of time spent doing something, such as drinking
- a period of illness
- a contest or fight, esp a boxing or wrestling match
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
bout /baʊt/USA pronunciation n. [countable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- a contest, as of boxing;
- a period or spell:a bout of illness.
bout (bout),USA pronunciation n.
- a contest or trial of strength, as of boxing.
spell:a bout of illness.
- a turn at work or any action.
- a going and returning across a field, as in mowing or reaping.
- 1535–45; variant of obsolete bought bend, turn, derivative of bow bow1; see bight
- 1.See corresponding entry in Unabridged match, fray, encounter.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
bout /baʊt/ n
'bout' also found in these entries:
Godard - bender - binge - blind - bolt - booze - bouse - butt - distance - dive - drunk - elimination - en garde - enfeeble - fight - frenzy - go - going - heavyweight - jag - junior lightweight - roadwork - round - screed - semifinal - slugfest - spalpeen - sparring partner - spell - split decision - splurge - spree - technical knockout - title - turn - weigh - weigh in - wrestle