- an anniversary of the day of one's birth
- (as modifier): birthday present
- the day on which a person was born
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
birth•day /ˈbɜrθˌdeɪ/USA pronunciation n. [countable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- the anniversary of a birth:We had a birthday party for her.
- the day of a person's birth:My birthday is December 28.
- a day commemorating the founding or beginning of something:celebrating the birthday of our church.
birth•day (bûrth′dā′),USA pronunciation n.
- the anniversary of a birth.
- the day of a person's birth.
- a day marking or commemorating the origin, founding, or beginning of something.
- the festivities or celebration marking such a day or anniversary.
- 1350–1400; Middle English; see birth, day
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
birthday /ˈbɜːθˌdeɪ/ n
'birthday' also found in these entries (note: many are not synonyms or translations):
Candygram - Hughes - Jefferson Davis's Birthday - Jefferson Day - Lincoln's Birthday - Martin Luther King Day - Mawlid - Natalie - Noel - Texas Independence Day - Victoria Day - Washington's Birthday - aah - be - belated - bird - birthday suit - birthnight - card - celebrate - choreography - close - concur - count noun - decline - empty-handed - gala - get - give - namby-pamby - occasion - piñata - present - preteen - promise - remember - return - shower - throw - tickle - usual