- the second letter in the Greek alphabet (Β, β), a consonant, transliterated as b
- the second highest grade or mark, as in an examination
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
be•ta /ˈbeɪtə/USA pronunciation n.[countable], pl. -tas.WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- Linguisticsthe second letter of the Greek alphabet (B, &bgr;
be•ta (bā′tə or, esp. Brit., bē′-),USA pronunciation n.
- Linguisticsthe second letter of the Greek alphabet (β, B).
- Linguisticsthe consonant sound represented by this letter.
- (cap.) [Astron.]a star that is usually the second brightest of a constellation:The second brightest star in Taurus is Beta Tauri.
- one of the possible positions of an atom or group in a compound.
- one of two or more isomeric compounds.
- Chemistry, Physicsthe second of any series, as in chemistry or physics.
- Stock Exchange, BusinessAlso called beta coefficient, beta line. an arbitrary measure of the volatility of a given stock using an index of the volatility of the market as a whole:A beta of 1.1 indicates a stock that is 10 percent more volatile than the market.
- Radio and Television, Trademarks(cap.) [Trademark.]a brand of tape format for VCR tape, incompatible with other formats. Cf. VHS.
- British Terms, Education[Chiefly Brit.]a grade showing that a student is in the middle or second of three scholastic sections in a class. Cf. alpha (def. 7), gamma (def. 9).
- Semitic; compare Hebrew bēth beth
- Greek bêta
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
beta /ˈbiːtə/ n
'beta' also found in these entries:
B cell - Beta Crucis - Black - Phi Beta Kappa - acebutolol - alpha - alpha blocker - alpha receptor - alpha test - alpha-beta brass - alphabet - antioxidant - ara-C - atenolol - b - bate - beet - beetroot - beta blocker - beta brass - beta carotene - beta cell - beta coefficient - beta decay - beta function - beta globulin - beta iron - beta line - beta particle - beta ray - beta receptor - beta rhythm - beta stock - beta test - beta waves - beta-adrenergic - beta-adrenergic receptor - beta-blocker - beta-endorphin - beta-indoleacetic acid - beta-naphthol - beta-naphthyl group - beta-naphthylamine - beta-oxidation - betagalactosidase - betaine - betamethasone - betatron - betazole - beth