- a person or thing that bears, presents, or upholds
- a person who presents a note or bill for payment
- (modifier) payable to the person in possession: bearer bonds
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
bear•er /ˈbɛrɚ/USA pronunciation n. [countable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- a person or thing that carries:the bearer of bad news.
- one who presents an order for money or goods:Pay to the bearer of this note the sum of one hundred dollars.
bear•er (bâr′ər),USA pronunciation n.
- a person or thing that carries, upholds, or brings:dozens of bearers on the safari.
- the person who presents an order for money or goods:Pay to the bearer.
- Botanya tree or plant that yields fruit or flowers.
- the holder of rank or office;
- British Empire(esp. in India) a native boy or man employed as a personal or household servant.
- Printingfurniture (def. 4).
- Printingone of several strips of metal fitted at the sides of a plate for support during inking and proving.
- Buildinga joistlike member supporting the floorboards of a scaffold.
- FurnitureSee bearing rail.
- Middle English berere. See bear1, -er1 1250–1300
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
bearer /ˈbɛərə/ n
'bearer' also found in these entries:
-phore - Aquarius - Carpophorus - Christopher - Gary - Lucifer - Ophiuchus - Water Carrier - amphora - ancient - angophora - armorbearer - bannerman - bearer bond - bearing rail - blank endorsement - carrier - carry - clasp - clavier - colorbearer - coupon - coupon bond - courtesy card - credential - crosier - cross-bearer - cupbearer - daimyo bond - dexter - ensign - er - esquire - euronote - flag of truce - furbearer - furniture - gift certificate - gold stick - gonfalonier - hypaspist - identify - identity card - kago - letter of credit - livebearer - macebearer - meal ticket - messenger - metronymic