- any of a set of posts supporting a rail or coping
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
bal•us•ter /ˈbæləstɚ/USA pronunciation n. [countable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- Architecturean upright support for a railing.
bal•us•ter (bal′ə stər),USA pronunciation n.
- Architectureany of a number of closely spaced supports for a railing.
- Architecturebalusters, a balustrade.
- Furnitureany of various symmetrical supports, as furniture legs or spindles, tending to swell toward the bottom or top.
- Greek balaústion pomegranate flower
- Latin balaustium
- Italian balaustro pillar shaped like the calyx of the pomegranate flower, ultimately
- French, Middle French balustre
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
baluster /ˈbæləstə/ n
'baluster' also found in these entries: