- at a level even with the surface of the sea
- washed over by the waves
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
a•wash /əˈwɑʃ, əˈwɔʃ/USA pronunciation adj., adv.WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- Nautical, Naval Termslevel with and washed by the waves:The deck of the boat was awash.
- covered with water:The streets were awash with the floodwaters.
filled:a garden awash in colors.
a•wash (ə wosh′, ə wôsh′),USA pronunciation adj., adv.
- Naval Termsjust level with or scarcely above the surface of the water, so that waves break over the top.
- Naval Termsoverflowing with water, as the upper deck of a ship in a heavy sea.
- covered with water.
- washing about;
tossed about by the waves.
- covered, filled, or crowded:streets awash with shoppers; a garden awash in brilliant colors.
- a-1 + wash 1825–35
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
awash /əˈwɒʃ/ adv , adj (postpositive)
'awash' also found in these entries: