- a formal written defence of a cause or one's beliefs or conduct
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
ap•o•lo•gi•a /ˌæpəˈloʊdʒiə/USA pronunciation n.[countable], pl. -as.WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- a defense of strongly held beliefs, attitudes, or actions:The speech was an apologia for slavery.
ap•o•lo•gi•a (ap′ə lō′jē ə),USA pronunciation n.
- an apology, as in defense or justification of a belief, idea, etc.
- Literaturea work written as an explanation or justification of one's motives, convictions, or acts.
- Greek: a speaking in defense. See apo-, log-, -ia
- Late Latin
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
apologia /ˌæpəˈləʊdʒɪə/ n
'apologia' also found in these entries: