WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020 am•bas•sa•dor /æmˈbæsədɚ, -ˌdɔr/USA pronunciation
n. [countable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
am•bas•sa•do•ri•al /æmˌbæsəˈdɔriəl/USA pronunciation adj.
- Governmenta diplomatic official of the highest rank, sent by one country to live in another as its representative.
- Governmentan unofficial representative:a good-will ambassador.
(am bas′ə dər, -dôr′),USA pronunciation n.
(am bas′ə dər, -dôr′),USA pronunciation adj.
- Governmenta diplomatic official of the highest rank, sent by one sovereign or state to another as its resident representative(ambas′sador extraor′dinary and plenipoten′tiary).
- Governmenta diplomatic official of the highest rank sent by a government to represent it on a temporary mission, as for negotiating a treaty.
- Governmenta diplomatic official serving as permanent head of a country's mission to the United Nations or some other international organization.
- Governmentan authorized messenger or representative. Abbr.: Amb., amb.
- Latin -ātōrem accusative of -ātor -ator
- Italian ambassatore, dialect, dialectal Italian ambassadore, equivalent. to ambass- (see embassy) -atore, -adore
- Anglo-French ambassateur, ambassaduer
- 1325–75; Middle English am-, embass(i)adour, imbassadore
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
ambassador /æmˈbæsədə/ n
Etymology: 14th Century: from Old French ambassadeur, from Italian ambasciator, from Old Provençal ambaisador, from ambaisa (unattested) mission, errand; see embassyamˈbassadress fem n ambassadorial /æmˌbæsəˈdɔːrɪəl/ adj amˈbassadorˌship n
- short for ambassador extraordinary and plenipotentiary; a diplomatic minister of the highest rank, accredited as permanent representative to another country or sovereign
- ambassador extraordinary ⇒ a diplomatic minister of the highest rank sent on a special mission
- ambassador plenipotentiary ⇒ a diplomatic minister of the first rank with treaty-signing powers
- ambassador-at-large ⇒ US an ambassador with special duties who may be sent to more than one government
- an authorized representative or messenger
'ambassador' also found in these entries: