- a domesticated cud-chewing artiodactyl mammal, Lama pacos, closely related to the llama and native to South America: family Camelidae. Its dark shaggy hair is a source of wool
- the cloth made from the wool of this animal
- a glossy fabric simulating this, used for linings, etc
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
al•pac•a /ælˈpækə/USA pronunciation n., pl. -as.WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- Mammals[countable] a South American hoofed mammal having long, soft, silky fleece, related to the llama.
- [uncountable] the fleece of this animal;
yarn or fabric made of this fleece.
al•pac•a (al pak′ə),USA pronunciation n.
- Mammalsa domesticated South American hoofed mammal, Lama pacos, having long, soft, silky fleece, related to the llama and believed to be a variety of the guanaco.
- the fleece of this animal.
- Textilesa fabric or yarn made of it.
- Textilesa glossy, commonly black woolen fabric with cotton warp.
- Textilesa crepe fabric made of rayon and acetate yarn in imitation of alpaca wool cloth.
- Aymara allpaqa
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
alpaca /ælˈpækə/ n
'alpaca' also found in these entries (note: many are not synonyms or translations):