- any plant of the liliaceous genus Aloe, chiefly native to southern Africa, with fleshy spiny-toothed leaves and red or yellow flowers
- American aloe ⇒
another name for century plant
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
al•oe /ˈæloʊ/USA pronunciation n.[countable], pl. -oes.WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- Plant Biologya chiefly African shrub of the lily family.
- Plant Biologya type of aloe that yields a juice used in skin lotion.
al•oe (al′ō),USA pronunciation n., pl. -oes.
(al′ō),USA pronunciation adj.
- Plant Biologyany chiefly African shrub belonging to the genus Aloe, of the lily family, certain species of which yield a fiber.
- Plant BiologySee aloe vera.
- Plant BiologySee century plant.
- aloes, (used with a sing. v.) agalloch.
- South Asia via Hebrew
- Greek alóē, perh.
- Latin aloē
- Old English al(u)we, alewe (compare Old Saxon, Old High German āloê) bef. 950; Middle English alōe, alow, alewen
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
aloe /ˈæləʊ/ n ( pl -oes)
'aloe' also found in these entries (note: many are not synonyms or translations):