- charitable donations of money or goods to the poor or needy
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
alms /ɑmz/USA pronunciation n. [plural]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- money, food, or other donations given to the needy.
alms (ämz),USA pronunciation n. (used with a sing. or pl. v.)
- money, food, or other donations given to the poor or needy;
anything given as charity:The hands of the beggars were outstretched for alms.
- Greek eleēmosýnē compassion, alms, derivative of éleos pity. See eleemosynary
- bef. 1000; Middle English almes, almesse, Old English ælmesse (compare Old Saxon alamōsna, Old High German alamuosa, Dutch aalmoes; Old Spanish almosna)
Late Latin eleēmosyna
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
alms /ɑːmz/ pl n
'alms' also found in these entries (note: many are not synonyms or translations):