- Brit obsolete a trained hospital social worker responsible for the welfare of patients
- (formerly) a person who distributes alms or charity on behalf of a household or institution
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
al•mon•er (al′mə nər, ä′mə-),USA pronunciation n.
- a person whose function or duty is the distribution of alms on behalf of an institution, a royal personage, a monastery, etc.
- British Terms
- a hospital official who determines the amount due for a patient's treatment.
- a social worker in a hospital.
- Old French aumon(i)er
Late Latin eleēmosynārius eleemosynary
- Middle English almoiner, aumoner (with insertion of l under influence of alms) 1250–1300
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
almoner /ˈɑːmənə/ n
'almoner' also found in these entries: