UK:*UK and possibly other pronunciationsUK and possibly other pronunciations/ˈeɪlərɒn/US:USA pronunciation: IPA and respellingUSA pronuncation: IPA/ˈeɪləˌrɑn/ ,USA pronunciation: respellinglə ron′)

WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
ai•ler•on /ˈeɪləˌrɑn/USA pronunciation   n. [countable]
  1. Aeronauticsa flap on the back surface of an aircraft wing, used to control the plane's roll and to perform banks.

WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
ai•ler•on  lə ron′),USA pronunciation n. 
  1. Aeronauticsa movable surface, usually near the trailing edge of a wing, that controls the roll of the airframe or effects maneuvers, as banks and the like.
  2. Architecturea wall at the end of a roof with a single slope, as that of a church aisle.
  • French, equivalent. to ail(e) (see aisle) + -eron diminutive suffix
  • 1905–10

Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
aileron /ˈeɪlərɒn/ n
  1. a flap hinged to the trailing edge of an aircraft wing to provide lateral control, as in a bank or roll
Etymology: 20th Century: from French, diminutive of aile wing
'aileron' also found in these entries:

Report an inappropriate ad.