- a flap hinged to the trailing edge of an aircraft wing to provide lateral control, as in a bank or roll
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
ai•ler•on /ˈeɪləˌrɑn/USA pronunciation n. [countable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- Aeronauticsa flap on the back surface of an aircraft wing, used to control the plane's roll and to perform banks.
ai•ler•on (ā′lə ron′),USA pronunciation n.
- Aeronauticsa movable surface, usually near the trailing edge of a wing, that controls the roll of the airframe or effects maneuvers, as banks and the like.
- Architecturea wall at the end of a roof with a single slope, as that of a church aisle.
- French, equivalent. to ail(e) (see aisle) + -eron diminutive suffix
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
aileron /ˈeɪlərɒn/ n
'aileron' also found in these entries: