- a business or other organization providing a specific service: an employment agency
- the place where an agent conducts business
- the business, duties, or functions of an agent
- action, power, or operation: the agency of fate
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
a•gen•cy /ˈeɪdʒənsi/USA pronunciation n., pl. -cies.WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- an organization, company, or bureau that provides a particular service:[countable]a welfare agency; an employment agency.
- the place of business of an agent:[countable]independent insurance agency.
- a means or method of exercising power or influence;
a way something is accomplished:[uncountable]awarded the contract through the agency of friends.
a•gen•cy (ā′jən sē),USA pronunciation n., pl. -cies.
- an organization, company, or bureau that provides some service for another:a welfare agency.
- a company having a franchise to represent another.
- Governmenta governmental bureau, or an office that represents it.
- the place of business of an agent.
- GovernmentSee Indian agency.
- Governmentan administrative division of a government.
- the duty or function of an agent.
- the relationship between a principal and his or her agent.
- the state of being in action or of exerting power;
operation:the agency of Providence.
- a means of exerting power or influence;
instrumentality:nominated by the agency of friends.
- Medieval Latin agentia, equivalent. to Latin ag- (root of agere to do, act, manage) + -entia -ency
- 10.See corresponding entry in Unabridged intercession, good offices.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
agency /ˈeɪdʒənsɪ/ n ( pl -cies)
'agency' also found in these entries:
ACDA - Agency for International Development - Arunachal Pradesh - Atomic Energy Commission - CCC - CCTA - CIA - CSA - Central India - Central India Agency - DVLA - EPA - FBI - FDA - FEMA - IAEA - IEA - International Telecommunications Union - Kourou - LEC - MI5 - MI6 - Marxism - above-the-line - account - account executive - act of God - action - ad - administrative leave - administrative-law judge - advertising agency - aftercare - agcy. - agency shop - agent - agential - agentive - agitprop - aid - antismoking - ar- - art - art director - athlete - authority - autochthonous - automaton - bag job - balsam