- the period of the day between noon and evening
- (as modifier): afternoon tea
- a middle or later part: the afternoon of life
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
- the time from noon until evening: [countable]every afternoon.[uncountable; by + ~]I'll get it done by afternoon.
- of, relating to, or occurring during the afternoon:an afternoon nap.
- the time from noon until evening.
- the latter part:the afternoon of life.
- pertaining to the latter part of the day.
- 1250–1300; Middle English; see after, noon