- the glow left after a light has disappeared, such as that sometimes seen after sunset
- the glow of an incandescent metal after the source of heat has been removed
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
af•ter•glow /ˈæftɚˌgloʊ/USA pronunciation n. [countable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- Meteorologythe glow frequently seen in the sky after sunset.
- the pleasant remembrance of a past experience, glory, etc.
af•ter•glow (af′tər glō′, äf′-),USA pronunciation n.
- Meteorologythe glow frequently seen in the sky after sunset;
- Metallurgya second or secondary glow, as in heated metal before it ceases to become incandescent.
- the pleasant remembrance of a past experience, glory, etc.:She basked in the afterglow of her stage triumph.
- phosphorescence (def. 3).
- after + glow 1870–75
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
afterglow /ˈɑːftəˌɡləʊ/ n
'afterglow' also found in these entries: