WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- Building, British TermsSee monkey wrench (def. 1).
- BuildingAlso called,[esp. Brit.,] adjustable spanner. a wrench having an adjustable jaw permitting it to grasp nuts or the like of different sizes.
- something that interferes with functioning;
obstacle:He threw a monkey wrench into our plans.
mon•key-wrench (mung′kē rench′),USA pronunciation v.t.
- to ruin (plans, a schedule, etc.) unavoidably or, sometimes, deliberately:The storm monkey-wrenched our plans for a picnic.
- to prevent, delay, or sabotage industrialization or development of wilderness areas, esp. through vandalism.