- the condition of being abnormally dependent on some habit, esp compulsive dependency on narcotic drugs
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
ad•dic•tion /əˈdɪkʃən/USA pronunciation n.WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- [uncountable] the state of being addicted to something.
- an example or case of this:[countable]had addictions to nicotine and alcohol.
ad•dic•tion (ə dik′shən),USA pronunciation n.
- Drugsthe state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.
- Latin addictiōn- (stem of addictiō) a giving over, surrender. See addict, -ion
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
adˈdiction /əˈdɪkʃən/ n
'addiction' also found in these entries:
-aholic - Burroughs - Twelve Step - addictive - chemical dependency - cold turkey - cyclazocine - detoxification centre - detoxify - dope - drug abuse - dry out - enslave - habit - habit-forming - habituation - heroin - hypnotherapy - jones - kick - methadone - monkey - morphine - nalorphine - naltrexone - narcotic - narcotism - nonaddictive - recreational - rehab - rehabilitate - substance abuse - tough love - withdraw - yen