- the act of acknowledging or state of being acknowledged
- something done or given as an expression of thanks, as a reply to a message, etc
- (plural) an author's statement acknowledging his use of the works of other authors, usually printed at the front of a book
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
ac•knowl•edg•ment /ækˈnɑlɪdʒmənt/USA pronunciation n.WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- [uncountable; often: in + ~ (+ of)] the act of acknowledging.
- a message testifying to the receipt of something:[countable]sent an acknowledgment that the gift had arrived.
- [countable; often plural] a piece of writing in a book thanking the people who have helped the author.
ac•knowl•edg•ment (ak nol′ij mənt),USA pronunciation n.
- an act of acknowledging.
- recognition of the existence or truth of something:the acknowledgment of a sovereign power.
- an expression of appreciation.
- a thing done or given in appreciation or gratitude.
- a declaration before an official that one has executed a particular legal document.
- Lawan official certificate of a formal acknowledging.
- public recognition by a man of an illegitimate child as his own.
- acknowledge + -ment 1585–95
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
acknowledgment, acknowledgement /əkˈnɒlɪdʒmənt/ n
'acknowledgment' also found in these entries (note: many are not synonyms or translations):
F.A.B. - IOU - ack. - admission - admittedly - allowance - avouch - avowal - bland - bond - bow - certificate of deposit - cognizance - cognovit - come - coming-out - compete - confess - confessedly - confession - confront - credit - debit - denial - due bill - endure - excuse - homage - honorific - mea culpa - mention - no - over - preface - profession - receipt - recognition - recognize - resipiscence - respect - steal - thank - thanks - thanksgiving - touché - tributary - tribute - valuation - yes