WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
ac•cord•ing to /əˈkɔrdɪŋ ˌtu/USA pronunciation prep.WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- in accord with or in a way that fits: They were rewarded according to how hard they worked.
- as stated by:According to my dictionary, there are several meanings for that word.
- in agreement or accord with:according to his judgment.
- consistent with;
in conformity with:to be paid according to one's experience.
- on the authority of;
as stated or reported by:According to her, they have gone.
- in proportion to:He'll be charged according to his ability to pay.
- contingent on:According to the number of winners, the judges will award duplicate prizes.
- Middle English 1350–1400
'according to' also found in these entries:
Acta Sanctorum - Algol - Alternative Vote - American College Test - Andorra - Anglice - Bach - Bainbridge - Barmecide - Baumé - Brahmo Samaj - Cocker - Diwali - Etzel - a cappella - a capriccio - a.k.a. - accessorize - actuary - acute - ad valorem - ad valorem tax - ad verbum - ad-lib - adroit - advice - aesthetically - after - age - ah - aha - alfisol - align - alla breve - allegedly - allowance race - analogy - answer - antique - apartheid - aplomb - apparent - apportion - apportionment - array - art - assort - asymptotic freedom - authoritarian - automatic