- lodging or board and lodging
- adjustment, as of differences or to new circumstances; adaptation, settlement, or reconciliation
- something fulfilling a need, want, etc; convenience or facility
- the automatic or voluntary adjustment of the shape of the lens of the eye for far or near vision
- willingness to help or oblige
- a loan, usually made as an act of favour by a bank before formal credit arrangements are agreed
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
ac•com•mo•da•tion /əˌkɑməˈdeɪʃən/USA pronunciation n.WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- [countable] Usually, accommodations. [plural]
- lodging:The accommodations at that hotel were quite luxurious.
- adjustment or reconciliation: [uncountable]seeking accommodation from both sides in the dispute.[countable]made a small accommodation to their request.
- Business[countable] (in business) a loan.
ac•com•mo•da•tion (ə kom′ə dā′shən),USA pronunciation n.
- the act of accommodating;
state or process of being accommodated;
- adjustment of differences;
- Sociologya process of mutual adaptation between persons or groups, usually achieved by eliminating or reducing hostility, as by compromise or arbitration.
- anything that supplies a need, want, favor, convenience, etc.
- Usually, accommodations.
- food and lodging.
- a seat, berth, or other facilities for a passenger on a train, plane, etc.
- readiness to aid or please others;
- Businessa loan.
- [Ophthalm.]the automatic adjustment by which the eye adapts itself to distinct vision at different distances.
- BusinessSee accommodation bill.
- Latin accommodātiōn- (stem of accommodātiō) adjustment. See accommodate, -ion
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
accommodation /əˌkɒməˈdeɪʃən/ n
'accommodation' also found in these entries:
accommodation address - accommodation bill - accommodation collar - accommodation ladder - accommodation line - accommodation train - accommodationist - account - agritourism - almshouse - apartment - bed and board - bed and breakfast - bed-and-breakfast - bedsit - billet - boarding house - boarding school - box - cabin - cancellation - canton - cantonment - caravansary - caravanserai - casern - ciliary muscle - class - coadaptation - convenience - cram - deck passage - door - dormitory - double - double occupancy - double-book - economy - economy class - empty - far-point - first class - flotel - fly - gangway - granny flat - guesthouse - holiday camp - hostel - house