- any place of learning, such as a college or university
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
ac•a•deme (ak′ə dēm′, ak′ə dēm′),USA pronunciation n.
- Educationthe campus activity, life, and interests of a college or university;
the academic world.
- Education(sometimes cap.) any place of instruction;
- Ancient History(cap.) the public grove in Athens in which Plato taught.
- Educationa person living in, accustomed to, or preferring the environment of a university.
- Educationa scholarly or pedantic person, esp. a teacher or student.
- Greek Akádēmos Academus
- Latin Acadēmus
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
academe /ˈækəˌdiːm/ n literary
'academe' also found in these entries: