- the state of being away
- the time during which a person or thing is away
- the fact of being without something; lack
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
ab•sence /ˈæbsəns/USA pronunciation n.WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- the state of being away or not being present:[uncountable]Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
- [countable] a period of time of being away: an absence of several weeks.
- [uncountable] lack;
deficiency: the absence of proof.
ab•sence (ab′səns),USA pronunciation n.
- state of being away or not being present:I acted as supervisor in his absence. Your absence was noted on the records.
- period of being away:an absence of several weeks.
- failure to attend or appear when expected.
deficiency:the absence of proof.
absent-mindedness:absence of mind.
- Latin absentia. See absent, -ia
- Middle French
- Middle English 1350–1400
- 1.See corresponding entry in Unabridged presence.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
absence /ˈæbsəns/ n
'absence' also found in these entries:
ABO system - Aditya - Blanche of Castile - French leave - Henry I - abasia - abessive - abiosis - abiotic - absence seizure - absent - absente reo - absentee vote - absenteeism - abstraction - acardia - acholuria - acnemia - acrotism - act - acting - adiaphoresis - agammaglobulinemia - agamy - agenesis - aglossia - akinesia - albino - algae - allow - alpha privative - alter ego - alternate - amaurosis - amelia - amenorrhea - amenorrhoea - amyelia - amyxorrhea - anacidity - anadenia - anaerobic - anaesthesia - analgesia - anamniote - anarchy - anencephaly - anesthesia - anhidrosis - animal