WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
ab•jure /æbˈdʒʊr/USA pronunciation v. [~ + object], -jured, -jur•ing.WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- to give up (a belief) formally or under oath;
renounce:abjured allegiance to her homeland.
ab•jure (ab jŏŏr′, -jûr′),USA pronunciation v.t., -jured, -jur•ing.
- to renounce, repudiate, or retract, esp. with formal solemnity;
recant:to abjure one's errors.
- to renounce or give up under oath;
forswear:to abjure allegiance.
- to avoid or shun.
- Latin abjūrāre to deny on oath, equivalent. to ab- ab- + jūrāre to swear; see jury1
- late Middle English 1400–50