- the office, term of office, or jurisdiction of an abbot or abbess
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
ab•ba•cy (ab′ə sē),USA pronunciation n., pl. -cies.
- the rank, rights, privileges, or jurisdiction of an abbot.
- the term of office of an abbot.
- Late Latin abbātia (compare abbey), equivalent. to abbāt- (see abbot) + -ia -ia
- late Middle English abbacie, abbat(h)ie 1400–50
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
abbacy /ˈæbəsɪ/ n ( pl -cies)
'abbacy' also found in these entries: