- a French abbot
- a title used in addressing any other French cleric, such as a priest
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
- Religion, Foreign Terms(a title of respect for) a clergyman.
- a member of the secular clergy.
- a title of respect for any ecclesiastic or clergyman.
- Late Latin abbāte(m), accusative of abbās abbot
- French, Middle French
- Ernst. 1840–1905, German physicist, noted for his work in optics and the microscope condenser known as the Abbe condenser